The Direct Cool II device measures the apparent viscosity of fresh, sooted, or highly oxidized engine oils at low temperatures. It determines the susceptibility of engine oils to flow-limited and air-binding responses during slow cooling conditions by providing continuous rheological data over a broad temperature range (+90°C to -40°C).
Additionally, the multi-purpose Direct Cool II can be used for running the automated low-temperature viscosity test for ATF, hydraulic fluids, and gear oils per the new ASTM D2983, Procedure D technique. The dual-position design allows operators to test two samples simultaneously, or the ability to run a reference sample alongside an unknown sample as indicated in the ASTM method.
- ASTM D5133
- ASTM D7110
- ASTM D2983 – Proc. D
- Chinese SH/T0732
Features and Benefits
- Thermoelectric Module Cooling (TMC) eliminates flammable bath mediums.
- Small, Dual-position, bench-top footprint.
- Incorporates new all-digital TAV-IIIM SBT® Viscometer model.
- SBT® Automation Package (w/Laptop) offers the capability to operate up to four, 2-place Direct Cool II units simultaneously and independently.
- Self-contained pre-heating: Heats samples up to 90°C prior to prescribed cooling profile.
- Programmable Temperature Controller maintains bath temperature within ±0.1°C to -40°C.
- Universal Power capability (110—240VAC, 50/60 Hz)
- Internal automatic dry air system removes moisture that accumulates during the test.
- Built-in touchscreen for easy-access temperature control settings and bath operations.