The Tapered Bearing Simulator (TBS) Viscometer is a rotational viscometer for measuring high temperature, high shear rate (HTHS) viscosity of engine oils over a broad shear rate (50,000 to >7 million sec–1) and temperature range (40°C to 200°C).
Developed in 1979 and under several patents, the TBS Viscometer became the world’s first high shear viscometer. It remains the modern benchmark ‘referee’ instrument for HTHS viscometry due to its innovative measurement technique, robust design, and notable operational upgrades.
Through several noteworthy instrument advancements, the TBS brings a heightened level of operator ease and productivity for both research and routine laboratory HTHS testing. These innovations include two optional Full-Automation modes, constant temperature control, a 12-step motor for simple adjustment of shear rate, quick ‘chase-flush’ sample exchange, and complete computer control for automatic calibration, sample injection and data reporting.
- ASTM D4683 | ASTM D6616
- CEC L-36-A90
- IP 370
- Reference technique for ASTM D4741 and D5481
Features and Benefits
- Full-Automation Package with 42-position AutoSampler – simply load samples, input desired sample information, start the automation program, and return to retrieve results.
- The Full-Automation Manual Injection Package (with Laptop) incorporates specialized software for automated Rotor/Stator adjustments and instrument calibrations.
- Capable of analyzing both ‘fresh’ and ‘used’ oils.
- Single sample testing with no requirement for duplication or averaging of sample data.
- ‘Chase-Flush’ sample replacement technique – no cleaning solution injections between sample runs.
- Adjustable temperature range from 40°C to 200°C with an optional cooling device.
- Thin-Film Stator heating provides constant and precise temperature control with no external hot oil bath.
- Excellent research tool with broad shear rate range capability via 12 rotor speed selections and Rotor/Stator depth relationship adjustment (50,000 to >7 million sec-1).
- TBS Reference Oil is available for operation at temperatures of 80°, 100°, and 150°C.
- Applies a constant, linear shear rate profile continually to the fluid. An absolute viscometer where ‘true’ shear rate is calculated from known dimensions and speed of rotation. No need for shear rate correction or the possibility of erroneous results due to clogged capillaries.